French in 1940s kit
As some of you may recall I spent the end of July refurbishing my 1940 era French
https://baberonwargames.blogspot.com/2026/08/refurbishing-my-french.html
Whilst sorting them out I noticed large gaps in my orbat and ordered some figures of Early War Miniatures.
August has been pretty busy with our boys out here and then Debbie`s sister visited also, so little time for hobby stuff. Finally here is the first batch of eleven figures:
FM24/29 team plus rifleman
4 riflemen
Kneeling and prone riflemen
Officer and soldier with Erma EMP SMG
Giving a figure an Erma EMP sub-machine gun is an interesting choice!
When the Republican troops retreated over the border into France in 1939, they brought with them their weapons and the French seized over 3,000 of this German designed SMG! Many were later pressed into service in 1940 and later still issued and used by Vichy gendarmarie & security units.









Excellent 👍
ReplyDeleteThanks :)
DeleteNicely done Richard, More reinforcements are always useful. And a few armed with V-B rifle grenades wouldn’t go amiss either 😉
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Geoff
VB grenadiers on the painting tray, but only managed to complete these. Now back in Wales working for a week.
DeleteVery nice, they look great, nice figures.
ReplyDeleteThanks, more to come, in fact I arrived back in Wales on Thursday morning to find another order from EWM on the doormat - I haven`t even been invoiced yet - now that is great service :)
DeleteOne of my favourite words: reinforcements. And these look really good..
ReplyDeleteLoads more French to come
Delete
ReplyDeleteYou were right to assign three soldiers to operate the FM 24-29. The weapon is fed by box magazines rather than ammunition belts. Consequently, alongside the gunner, there is a loader and an ammunition bearer to carry the magazines.
The weapon is extremely stable and features two triggers. The first allows for single-shot fire. Once the first trigger is bypassed, the second enables three-round bursts. There is, therefore, no continuous automatic fire.
French reserve regiments were still equipped with the FM 24-29 in the late 1980s.
Saw a lot of service that gun
DeleteNice work Richard, was not aware of the history of the smog, you learn something new everyday
ReplyDeleteCheers Matt, to be completely honest the side loaded SMG confused me - so I had to look it up :) I was more expecting the Mat39 when I ordered the figures.
Delete