Sunday 11 December 2022

Polikarpov I-16

 Polikarpov I-16 

Was a single seater fighter aircraft designed and built by Soviet Russia. At the time it was quite revolutionary with retractable landing gear.

The Russians supplied around 300 of these aircraft to the Republic and for a while they dominated the skies until the arrival of German Bf109Bs.  One of the main complaints about the aircraft was lightly armed with only two 7.62mm machine guns, later models were up-gunned. 

The Rebels (I hate calling them Nationalists) called the I-16 "Rata" (Rat) while the Republicans called it "Mosca" (Fly). 

Revell plastic kit






2 comments:

  1. Very nice that Richard.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete, my Republicans desperately needed some air support

      Delete