Saturday 6 April 2024

Militia Armoured Truck No1 (a bit more modeling info added)

Militia Armoured Truck No1

I`ve been planning and designing several of these for quite a while now, this is the first completed one.

 An "Armoured" truck for my SCW militia, based losely on various photos with ideas borrowed from all over the place including other peoples models. 

This represents something cobbled together in a garage or factory to serve as a semi-armoured transport.  The mattresses tied to the sides might appear useless, but many countries were still using lead bullets (until they knew better) so amazingly a simple mattress could stop a bullet!! This particular truck also has had sturdy wooden beams nailed to the sides before the mattresses were added. 

It has heavy overhead cover to the truck bed provided by boiler plate and thinner mild steel plate added to the cab doors, a plate over the windscreen and protecting the radiator and wheels/tires.

Some photos of the WIP, started off as a cheap plastic toy truck I found in a "Chino" shop in San Vicente for 2 Euro. 

The wooden "armour" is cut up coffee stirrers, the roof a piece of left over mild steel angle strip I bought to repair some drawers in the kitchen

The armoured plates are made either out of cut up beer cans or blister pack plastic, the mattresses are Plasterscene

Completed model with union colours and (badly) hand drawn slogans, the rope is just cotton thread.




Another action shot with militia




 







12 comments:

  1. I’m not sure this would have been the height of technical sophistication - but, if it works, that’s really all that matters.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We`ll see if it works during a game :) I enjoyed the planning and building which is the main thing :)

      Delete
  2. Richard,
    ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT conversion! Reminds me of all those brill ideas we used to see on Sotcw Forum (or in Journal). 'Top drawer' conversion Richard; that is instantly recognisable for the period and ad hoc creations of reality in 1930s war torn Spain.
    Carl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carl, I have two more in the construction phase. They have at the planning stage for ages. I`m really happy with how it came out, I wish I could write slogans better.

      Delete
  3. That is a great bit of scratchbuilding.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete you are far too kind (as always) my enthusiasm far outweighs my basic modeling and painting skills :) I have two more different ones on the production line :)

      Delete
  4. Looping suitably ugly and screams tiznao so just the ticket, congrats to your creativity. How did you harden the plasticine? Regards, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Pat :) The simple answer is I don`t harden it - that in my opinion is the beauty of the stuff it doesn`t harden or become brittle over time, I`ve tried all sorts of air drying clay, DAS, etc - Greenstuff I find too expensive for the amounts i use, so I`ve settled on the old school favourite - if it was good enough for Mr Featherstone, Mr Wise, et al thats good enough for me :) I have one more model sitting awaiting painting, this one is a little different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Richard, I take it you left the plasticine unpainted then. No usage of the famous banana oil of old? Not that I'd know an easy way to get that stuff. Regards, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use acrylics, seems to work out OK. Banana oil - ha ha ha I`m pretty sure that tale is a myth, I was never able to find any back in the day :) I bought my plasterscene through Amazon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Banana oil was easy to obtain back in the day - it was also known as "aircraft dope" and used for flying model aircraft.

    ReplyDelete