Monday 25 January 2021

A modelling re-think

A modelling re-think

 Way back in March 2017 

I built this Chevy 30cwt with 20mm Breda AA for 2/3rd Lt. anti-aircraft Regt RAA in Syria

Now whilst I enjoyed the build and as a model it was OK it always seemed to me that the Breda Britannia Miniatures looked way too large, in fact Andy`s own Grubby Tanks Breda is to my eye a better scale piece and I had planned to do a swap at some point. Then you will remember i bought those di-casts before Christmas and the 30cwt Chevy came with a nice 20mm Breda   


So I swapped out the gun and replaced the two Raventhorpe crew with suitable (smaller) plastic figures from the bits box -  one a Matchbox Australian Vickers gunner, the other a Matchbox DAK MMG gunner with a Airfix 8th Army head :)

WIP


Finished model

 Much happier with this 




Now waste not, want not, I scratched together a tripod mount, used the wheels I removed from the towed gun, head-swapped the original Raventhorpe gunner and painted up a couple of plastic Italeri Italians to create a ground deployed Breda and crew for my Italians too :)







6 comments:

  1. Very good. Love to see cut and paste stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loads of these Frankenstein creations in my collection

      Delete
  2. Bravo mate,

    Nice work on that, I was not even aware there was a diecast one available !

    we had one in the Australian war memorial with a solid Chevy cab, the cab roof had a crease where a round had skimmed off the roof, something I also have seen on a RAAF Land Rover in Malaysia.

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original model is Raventhorpe with the Britannia gun

      Delete
  3. Nice work- the new gun looks much better mounted on there.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I shouldn`t have used the original gun, but it was all I had to had. This new one is much better.

    ReplyDelete