Monday 22 August 2022

Belgian Trip Pt4

 Menin Gate

After the Museum aan de IJzer we reboarded the coach and headed for Ypres and the Menin Gate. For me this was the highlight of the whole trip, I`ve always wanted to visit and pay my respects there. Even though it was quite warm (mid 20s) I wore my suit with a white shirt and black tie, my wife also wore black which caused some sonfusion among the choir as they thought we were joining in (with our voices - no chance).

Now I`d seen pictures and read about it, but to see all those names - WOW.





The names of 54,395 men from Britian and the Commonwealth who died in the salient but whos bodies were never identified or found are incribed on the walls. It should be noted (with some shock) that these are only those who died before 15 August 1917! Another memorial at Tyne Cot (which we didn`t visit has another 34,984 names!! Neither memorial has any names of soldiers from New Zealand or Newfoundland as these are honoured with their own memorials or of course all those many thousands who have graves among the numerous military cemetories in the area!



The place had a overwhelming effect on me, just reading all those names - from all corners of Britain of course but Australians, South Africans, Indians, Canadians and soldiers from the West Indies too, just name after name....... Certinly puts our little probelms in perspective and make playing soldiers seem very silly.

Towards 8pm we gathered under the main arch, the choir on one side, we stood opposite. I have to admit I was overcome with the occasion (the heat and wearing a suit may have played a part), but my head began to go, I was sweating profusely at one point I thought I was going to faint! I literally had to clench my toes and dig me finger nails into my palms to regain control along with deep breathing exercises I used in scuba training. 

 A crowd gathered and waited in the heat, I was impressed when the ushers went into the crowd and moved a lad in a wheel chair and moved him to where he could see. At eight sharpe the bugles were blown and one member of the choir party (ex-forces) in his full dress uniform laid a wreath, the choir sang a couple of verses of Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer (which I always call - Cwm Rhondda) and Calon Lan (in Welsh of course)






This is a youtube link to the choir`s performance 
(you`ll have to cut/paste it into your browser)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXWpCJINo-I



  



2 comments:

  1. The Menin Gate (Menenpoort) is always moving. As a Belgian I've been there several times. The ceremony at 8pm can be variable - sometimes many people present - or a 'special' of some sorts, but also often only a handful of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, We were very privilaged to be allowed to tag along with the choir party - the whole day was very special.

      Delete