Thursday 1 June 2023

28mm Riff War

 28mm Riff War

Every now and again I see some figures that make me say WOW I`d like to try and paint those! Well Baraka GM of Madrid produce a superb collection of Riff War miniatures in 28mm. As some of you may know this conflict has been an obsession of mine for a number of years and this is the only conflict for which I have a small (ish) skirmish set-up in 28mm. Now I`m not a good painter at the best of times but I really struggle with 28mm - I just don`t have the talent or brush control and its harder to hide mistakes than it is with 20mm. But I just couldn`t resist these recent personality releases. Baraka GM can be found at their website: https://barakagm.com/

Captain Fidel Pages 

(1886-1923). 

A doctor and a military man, he is credited in Spain as the inventor of epidural anesthesia (though others elsewhere claim credit also) which he used in the field. He wrote several books on military medicine and reorganised Spanish military medicine after his experiences both in Africa and in Vienna during WW1 which allowed him to develop many new forms of treatment.

Following the events at Annual (June-July 1921), he returned to Morocco as head of medical services, unfortunately he was killed in a trafic accident whilst on leave in Madrid on 21 September 1922. 



José Millán-Astray y Terreros 
(July 5, 1879 – January 1, 1954) 

Now this figure was a special given to peaple who bought the very first releases from Baraka (which i did) He and they have stayed in their undercoated state until now, as i was in a painting mood I added him to this batch.

Millán Astray was the founder and first commander of the Spanish Foriegn Legion, sometimes referred to as "The Old Scared One" as during his military career in Morocco he was wounded several times including losing his left arm and right eye!





Medical assistant



Nurse


Chaplain


Wounded soldier
This figure is not Baraka he comes from a joblot I bought yrs back from a guy in Scotland








  



11 comments:

  1. Those look great Richard. A fine addition to a skirmish force.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete - lovely figures, shame my painting can`t do them justice :)

      Delete
  2. Since the figures are for your pleasure alone, I wouldn’t worry about the details that might concern others, like eyes. They are fine looking figures and will do well in a game or on display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - i`ve tried eyes on 28mm - they look like google-eyed monsters :) I just don`t have the brush control :)

      Delete
  3. Richard, you continue to educate me in all things Riffi and Spanish military figures too! A range and make that has escaped my attention. Mind I am not a buyer / painter of 28mm except by accident when 'ancients' gradually shifted from 25mm to 28mm by 'stealth'!!
    We should try and commission said designer to do some 20mm!! First I will have to play and win lotto to afford such commission!!
    Lovely to be able to put a real historical name / character to a tin man. Good to see you painting them up. Next a skirmish scenario to match your 28mm 'Rif' collection??!! all best Carl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Carl, Baraka GM arean interesting company, their FB page has loads of photos and pics of games they put on using their own published rules. I have actually part written a couple of skirmish games which will appear here eventually.

      Delete
  4. I have so many baraka figures and am waiting for the poor bloody conscripts to be released soon. My wallet will ache again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terry R Brown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Legionnaires all based and undercoated, but that is a far as I got - other distractions came along :)

      Delete
  6. You’re right these figures are awesome. I’ve bought a bunch and the sculpts are fantastic. What’s even better is they scale perfectly to 1898 range.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are a very good size match to 1898 figures, I have a batch of those sitting undercoated awaiting the inspiration to paint them up. I`m planning to paint them as conscript infantry, to give my legionnaires someone to rescue.

      Delete