Sunday 21 May 2023

Airfield accessories

 Airfield Accessories

I have a couple of scenarios in the works where airfields are either the central element of are part of the tabletop. I have the planes and various bits which can be used to simulate an airfield, but wanted to add something (as you do). Anyway that nice man Alan Hamilton was selling off some kits and one of them was an old Hasawaga Toyota starter truck - perfect for what I wanted. A bomb trailer comes with the kit and as it happened I had another already in the bits box so built both to add to the general clutter.

Now I know the French never used the Toyota starter truck, but it looks like a funky between the wars vehicle and my little men won`t care 😁 




bomb trailers

A few photos so you can see the general idea




My airfield fleet, the truck nearest is another Toyota this time with surplus  GS body



6 comments:

  1. Great fun! Lovely addition to the diorama of the tabletop. Carl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carl, I finished setting the table earlier I think it looks pretty good.

      Delete
  2. Neat! Since sone Japanese trucks seem inspired by other makes there is not much difference to my untrained eye.

    Can I ask you about tge origins of the surplus GS body? I bought one of these kits with that conversion in mind but I'm not good in making angled structures. Regards, Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I also thought the truck itself looked pretty generic and would suit other theatres/periods. The GS body came off a Shellholes Scenics Chevy, that i converted into an interesting French SP 75mm - I`m not sure if that helps.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the quick reply, the heavy customs I paid last time for ordering from the UK makes me hesitant to do so again any time soon. Lucky you, still commuting at times? Regards, Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sons still live in the UK, so i get stuff sent to them and either collect when we`re visiting or they bring it out to us.The Toyota isn`t a bad truck to convert as you get the side panels, make a new bed, then fit thefit the original panels (you`ll have to remove cab side and fit those separately), no all you need are a tail gate and some joining pieces - should be simple enough - even with my basic modeling skills :)

      Delete