Tuesday 2 May 2023

Yaqui/Apache camp

 Yaqui/Apache camp

I`ve been looking at ways of expanding my Mexican Revolution era games, so looked around to add more Yaqui/Apache type indians. That nice man Alan Hamilton supplied me with a pile of odds`n sods cowboys, Indians and various bits`n bobs among which werea few Native Indian teepees, soft plastic from Atlantic I think? Now I`m pretty sure these were only used by plains indians, but I`m not going for 100% accuracy more Hollywood, So in a fit of enthusiasm I`ve painted them up:




Among other recent purchases I also had a Yaqui war-drum from ian @ Shellhole Scenics, so whilst I was in the mood I painted this up too (drummers to come later)

All together


 





6 comments:

  1. Yaqui war drum? My first thought was whether it was a trampoline or some sort of jacuzzi. In retrospect I think it unlikely that the Yaquis had many (any?) of either 😂🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, ha - yes, it is big thing there are a group of 4 drummers to go with it, but these are waiting for me to get around to painting Yaqui/Apaches as i have about 30 or so to do and i`ll do them all as one batch.

      Delete
  2. Great bits there Richard.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete, a bit of fun, more Hollywood than history but will suit the game i have planned.

      Delete
  3. More great work, commons.wikimedia shows two images c1910, one a teepee another a wood and thatch hut, while another (via USA National Park service) linked to Yoeme village shows a beehive structure (possibly thatch but hard to discern) like Zulu huts in shape; another of Yeom village in 1936 shows that Yaqui refugees from Mexico, living in Arizona USA, building 'shanty' town like dwellings from " railroad ties, saguaro cactus ribs, metal roofing and mud" so your work is quite apt and probably others from other projects would fit too. Enjoyed your photos and my brief search. (Its all getting a bit "Rif" in my enthusiasm)!! Carl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Carl, I thought to add these to some adobe shacks and ruins to create a village or settlement. More Hollywood than historical but it will do for my tabletop.

      Delete