Friday 1 September 2023

Yaqui/Apache Camp

 Yaqui/Apache Camp 

Indian civilians, I always enjoy painting up and creating non-combat pieces for all the various periods I do. 

I`ve been planning expanding my Mexican Revoltion games in different ways, the were of course many tribes of native Indians throughout Mexico. Many of whom joined the various revolutions, starting with that against Diaz in 1910 after yrs of abuse by Government troops and the Rurales. Later after Madero`s murder Yaqui and other tribes fought against Huerta`s forces; later still various tribes fought for and against the Consitutionalists. Those loyal to Carranza and his generals (particularly Álvaro Obregón) fought against Villa whilst those loyal to Villa and Zapata fought against Carranza!

After the war was over however, things went back to normal and the Indians became unwanted and treated as lower class. There were incidents, killings from both sides, sometimes the Federal army was called in to quash local disputes or disperse (drive out) tribes which caused issues. Obregón is noted as being particularly brutal in his supression of his former loyal Yaqui allies, including bombing their villages from the air!

Among the pile of plastics I got of the nice man Alan Hamilton were some interesting non-combat Indian figures, now I know these are more Plains Indian than Yaqui/Apache but once again it`s my tabletop.

  These are mostly old Atlantic (I`ve identified two different packs) with one ancient Airfix squaw which I remember from my youth, not my finest painting but hey ho.........

Two hunters

Old men

Girl with child preparing meal
Girl skinning buffalo - yes I know no Buffalo in Mexico 😆
Pair of Squaws
back view showing the child
Witchdoctor
My basic camp idea
Includes all the bits and figures I`ve done so far





8 comments:

  1. Excellent 👍 I've just picked up some train carriages etc inspired by your recent train exploits. Bit of work to sort them out but a bargain and easily converted 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I`m in the process of setting up my September game which will be a return to Mexico (though no Indians or train) :)

      Delete
  2. Funny and great painting and atmosphete. Im also around Mexico but rebasing Aztecs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, this is the last batch of Indians for a while, a few pieces of terrain next :)

      Delete
  3. Richard, didn't you (or was it someone else?) do another piece on a Yaqui camp on old SOTCW Forum? Anyhow, I recall following up this old post (wherever it was) and found that many Yaqui dwellings were cottage like rather than tents! Sorry about this spoiler bit!! Although some images hard to date. See likes of:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/yaqui-village-in-mexico-1894--361625045071987840/
    https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/yaqui-indian.html?sortBy=relevant
    https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=563180349&q=images+of+Yaqui+villages&tbm=isch&source=univ&fir=eIzn76yyh2m1uM%252CsSatj9fjw8QJjM%252C_%253BHwB0_od4NvPbdM%252CzWd3gjHAUMPa5M%252C_%253BooaqrpD9zW1UuM%252CcZ7WKsXf5ouF4M%252C_%253BsZ-YYcUO_yYS1M%252C_4vGQ9mfP5TewM%252C_%253BC534TmdK4XJ06M%252Cnp3lI4196WseqM%252C_%253BEFJZTEtYwSjCbM%252CVYftUfAhizfCwM%252C_%253BqF1uQdSVfYJuCM%252CcZ7WKsXf5ouF4M%252C_%253Bh_igmNX7PhnNgM%252CsSatj9fjw8QJjM%252C_%253BBnKCmpY3HgcN2M%252Cypeo34ept4VTZM%252C_%253B1Sw7XIaDxUestM%252Cypeo34ept4VTZM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kTXj5KiVwKCYllCHRYtlURc4RVeUA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjRwPK685aBAxUIVEEAHT3wBnIQ7Al6BAgZEEM

    Carl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I`m pretty sure the Yaqui and other native indian tribes had adobe/wooded buildings like everyone else by 1910. But like I said, I was struggling to find suitable figures and will use the camp and "civilian" Indians as proxies.

      Delete
  4. PS I like your use of these old Atlantic and Airfix figures and their teepees - provides and interesting objective to defend / attack or bait for an ambush!! Carl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks they will make suitable proxies for my table-top :)

    ReplyDelete